We have already talked about the drums in one of our posts, now it is time for one of the most popular instruments nowadays, the guitar, considered as the twentieth century´s instrument by many people.
The guitar is capable of producing chords easy to play and you can reach satisfying progressions in a short time. Is a polyphonic instrument it serves as accompaniment to any song in any music style or even going single this makes it versatile.
Playing the guitar is easy, all it takes is 5 fingers, 6 strings and an asshole
The electrification of this instrument impacted in music significantly. At first, it was simply to increase its volume in order to be at the same level of sound of other acoustic instruments with great powerful sound, as the drums. But by 1950, thanks to electric guitars, amplifiers and pedals emitting new fangled electronic effects such as the famous wah–wah, widely used in soul or funk music, or the distortion of heavy- metal music, new styles began to emerge and without them it would have been unthinkable .However, it is worth mentioning that it was in 1930 when the guitar started to charm large audiences with acoustic guitars and their so typical slide of country or folk music.
Versatility and simplicity are the characteristics that have made this instrument leap to fame . As Keith Richards said “Playing the guitar is easy, all it takes is 5 fingers, 6 strings and an asshole” Obviously this does not mean that everyone can achieve what musicians like Jimi Hendrix, Paco de Lucia or Gene Autry can. As we can see, it is due to these amazing guitarists such popularity of this instrument too. Thanks to them, this instrument proved to be able of all amazing possibilities and touched people of all generations.
- Wikipedia contributors. Guitar. (2014, January 26). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 21:24, February 3, 2014, from http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Guitar&oldid=592502384
- Keith Richards Quotation .Roots Guitar Tips. Quotes of sucsseful guitarists. Retrieved Jan. 16 2014 from http://gorehound1313.wordpress.com/quotes-of-successful-guitarists/
- Burrows, T (September 1, 2011). Guitar Family Trees: History of the World’s Most Iconic Guitars.Apple Press.
- [Image] Retrieved 21:24, Dec 14, 2013, from http://blog.sharemyguitar.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/SMG_Frying_Pan.jpg
- Ross, A (2009). The Rest Is Noise:Listening to the Twentieth Century Barcelona: editorial seix barral. Retrieved 19 dic 2013 17:00